Originally from Jackson, Mississippi, Teneia is an internationally-touring musician and songwriter, and has seven albums to her credit. She has won multiple awards, had her work featured in television and film, and shared the stage with various critically-acclaimed artists.
One of Teneia's most prominent pieces, "Stand," earned a placement in the HBO documentary Prom Night in Mississippi featuring Morgan Freeman. "Stand" embodies Teneia's ability as an artist to address deeply rooted social issues fearlessly and confidently. Her true talent however, is how she strips down the audience, leaving their minds filled with reflection and their hearts filled with hope.
With a career spanning over a decade, Teneia has toured relentlessly throughout the years. Her most recent side project, Heart Society gained recognition through the Sixthman Cayamo music cruise alongside John Prine, Buddy Miller, The War and Treaty, Lee Ann Womack and many more. Heart Society was also selected to perform a three week long tour on the continent of Africa in April of 2019 by the US State Department organization, American Music Abroad. All while spreading a message of love and equality.
Teneia is a visionary with the heart to match. No matter what project she is a part of she always delivers a stellar performance. With folk-soul roots and infectious hooks she teeters on the edge of defining a new sound and genre.
- Original song "Stand" featured in HBO Documentary "Prom Night in Mississippi" starring Morgan Freeman (2007)
- Contributed to the Teach for America Compilation Album, along with national acts Neko Case and The Swell Season (2007)
- Nominated as a finalist for PASTE Magazine's Rock & Reel Contest (2008)
- Winner of the National Women's Music Festival's "Discovers New Talent" Competition (2009)
- Nominated by the Just Plain Folk Music Foundation for Best Original Blues Song "I'm Over You" (2009)
- Signed with SonaBLAST! Records (2010)
- Winner of Chicks with Picks Chickstock contest "Best Performance" Award (2011)
- Winner of Chicks with Picks Chickstock contest "Best Original Song" Award (2011)
- Original song "Loser" picked up by FirstCom (2011)
- Original song "Stand" featured on Taste of AAA sampler (2011)
- Original song "Hard Times" featured in independent movie Away From Here starring Alicia Witt and Nick Stahl (2013)
- Performed at the Red Gorilla Music Festival (2008 and 2013)
- Original songs "Let Go" and "The Commander" featured in GE promotional material (2013)
- Winner of the Cayamo Soundcheck contest (2018)
- American Music Abroad program winner (2019)
- Opened for various national acts, including Lucinda Williams, Missy Higgins, Jamie O'Neal, Sarah Darling, Jessi Colter, Sharon Little, Grayson Capps, Catie Curtis, Luke Doucet, Tab Benoit, Kelley McRae, Salvador Santana, and others